Saturday, October 4, 2008

Popovers, Part One

Why "part one?" Let's just say this baking experiment didn't turn out quite the way I wanted it to. To see what went wrong, keep reading.

My husband looooves popovers. When he noticed there was a recipe for popovers in my Martha Stewart Baking book, he practically begged me to make them. Martha's recipe strongly suggests that you use a special popover tin, which is different from a regular muffin tin. However, I didn't have a popover tin. I knew if anyone could figure out how to make popovers without a popover tin, it would be Alton Brown. Alton hates kitchen "unitaskers" (kitchen gadgets which only serve a very specific purpose, i.e. egg slicers, avocado slicers, grapefruit spoon, pickle fork). Coincidentally, Food Network aired Alton's show on popovers last week. Guess what he used to make his popovers? A popover tin. Sigh.

After a brief trip to Williams-Sonoma, I had my very own unitasker... errr, I mean popover tin.

By the way, you can find Martha's recipe for popovers here.

The ingredients are incredibly simple: butter, flour, milk, eggs, and salt. You whisk them all together and pour the batter into the tins (the batter should only fill the lower 1/3 of the cups).



The steep sides of the popover tins are supposed to help the dough rise in the oven. I put the popovers in the oven and waited for them to rise. After about 20 minutes, the dough had risen to 3 inches above the surface of the tin, which is exactly what Martha said it should do.

This is where something went wrong. The recipe said I should bake the popovers for approximately 30 minutes. But they looked right after 20 minutes in the oven, so I went ahead and took them out. They *immediately* deflated when I took them out of the oven.



Waaaaaaah! My husband said they tasted good, but the texture was completely off. I think I should have kept them in the oven longer, so their shapes could stabilize. I'm going to try this recipe again soon, and hopefully it will work next time.


No comments: