Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Maple Pecan Apple Crisp




This is actually a modified Cooking Light recipe, not a Martha recipe, but I thought it was worth sharing. I love apple crisps, because they're delicious, but incredibly easy to make. I modified the original recipe by substituting pecans for walnuts, because I strongly prefer pecans. But you could use either one, and I'm sure it would be tasty. I like to eat it for breakfast, but you could also serve it a la mode for a scrumptious dessert.

Ingredients

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup regular oats
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chilled butter or stick margarine, cut into small pieces
3 tablespoons chopped pecans
7 cups sliced peeled apples (about 3 pounds) - I used Jonagold, but any baking apple will work.
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, oats, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly. Stir in pecans.

Combine apple and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Spoon apple mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish or 1 1/2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Nutritional Information (for 9 servings, calculated by Cooking Light)
Calories: 208 (31% from fat)
Fat: 7.1g (sat 3.4g,mono 1.9g,poly 1.3g)
Protein: 1.8g
Carbohydrate: 36.5g
Fiber: 2.3g
Cholesterol: 14mg
Iron: 0.9mg
Sodium: 58mg
Calcium: 27mg

1 comment:

NJenn said...

Never found a recipe for apple crisp that I really loved cuz I loved loads of topping. I think you've done it! The bottom crust might just be the answer. Can't wait to give it a try. I'm thinking my work buddies are getting another treat this week.